Spanish To English Translation Test 2015

1. "The turtle is far away."
Answers:
• La tortuga está enferma.
• La tortuga está lejos.
• La tortuga está cerca.
• La tortuga está barata.

2. Spanish for "fly," as in the insect:
Answers:
• jirafa
• zorro (-a)
• pez
• mosca
• rana
3. Quisiera un boleto de ida y vuelta.
Answers:
• I do not want a round trip ticket.
• I would like a round trip ticket.
• I want to buy a one-way ticket.
• I would like a one-way ticket.
4. A "Titulo de Bachiller" is a(n):
Answers:
• Depending on the country, either a secondary school diploma or a bachelor's diploma
• Ph.D Diploma
• Advanced Studies Certificate
• Master's Diploma
5. Spanish for "clumsy" :
Answers:
• pobre
• listo (-a)
• encantado (-a)
• torpe
• ocupado (-a)
6. "The bee can sting."
Answers:
• La mosca puede picar.
• La abeja puede picar.
• NONE OF THESE
• La abeja puede prestar.
• La mosca puede prestar.
7. Which form of 'hablar' means 'I talked' ?
Answers:
• hablé
• habló
• hablo
• habla
• hablanto
8. Which of these is a valid way to say "he heard"?
Answers:
• oigó
• oió
• oyó
• oiyó
9. Which is "He's going to the bank again." ?
Answers:
• Suele ir al banco.
• Puede ir al banco.
• Vuelve a ir al banco.
• Acaba de ir al banco.
• Va a ir al banco.
10. The best translation for "campesino" when it is listed as a profession is:
Answers:
• Camper
• Peon
• Agricultural Worker
• Pleb
• Country-Dweller
11. "Reclamación" means:
Answers:
• Method or complaint, depending on context
• Claim or complaint, depending on context
• Method or claim, depending on context
• Method, always
12. "No seas tan sensible" can be translated to:
Answers:
• You aren't that sensitive
• Don't be so sensitive
• Don't be so sensible
• Don't be so senseless
13. Which is the best translation of the following doctor's note: "Paciente femenino de setenta y ocho años refiere dolor en la pierna izquierda a nivel de la rodilla"?
Answers:
• Female patient, 78 years of age, complains of pain in her left leg at the knee level
• Feminine patient, 68 years old, refers to pain in the left leg at the knee
• Female patient, 78 years old, complains of pain in her right leg
• Female patient, 68 years of age, complains of pain in her left knee
14. When using the word "toma" (grab, take : drink) in a social night out context, which of the following is the correct use?
Answers:
• Ella no sabe como se toma sus bebidas directo de la botella
• El no sabe como se toma sus bebidas directo de la botella
• Ellos prefieren toman sus bebidas directo de la botella
• Ellos prefieren tomar sus bebidas directo de la botella.
15. Which form of "ir" could mean "he used to go"?
Answers:
• era
• íbamos
• veía
• éramos
• iba
16. Which of these is a Spanish word for "cupboard" ?
Answers:
• armario
• cama
• silla
• sillón
17. The best translation for "Entidad Federativa" is:
Answers:
• Federal Entity
• State
• Federal District
• (none of these)
18. What is the difference between "demandante" and "demandado"?
Answers:
• Both terms mean "plaintiff."
• Both terms mean "defendant."
• Demandante means "defendant" and "demandado" means "plaintiff."
• Demandante means "plaintiff" and "demandado" means "defendant."
19. The abbreviation (fdo) next to a person's name means:
Answers:
• (Signed)
• (Error)
• (Deceased)
• (Failing)
20. Which of these means "boring"?
Answers:
• aburrido
• malo
• amargo
• hermoso
• tranquilo
21. Busca en el diccionario si quieres saber la definición de una palabra.
Answers:
• Look in the dictionary if you want to know the direct meaning of a word.
• Look in the dictionary if you want to know how to spell the word.
• Look in the dictionary if you want to know the translation of a word.
• Look in the dictionary if you want to know the definition of a word.
22. Translate the following: A ella le gusta hacerse la tonta.
Answers:
• Playing dumb is well-suited to her
• She likes making cake for herself
• She likes to play dumb
• She enjoys making fools out of others
23. The Spanish version of "there is or, there are" is:
Answers:
• aya
• Hay
• Haiga
• allá
• Halla
24. Can "otorgar" and "conferir" ever translate to the same English word?
Answers:
• No, never.
• Yes, both can translate to "to confide in"
• Yes, both can translate to "to award."
• Yes, both can translate to "to hold a conference"
25. ¿Cuántos años tienes?
Answers:
• How old are you?
• How tall are you?
• How big are you?
• How far are you?
26. Translate the following: El presente documento se expide a solicitud de la parte interesada en Buenos Aires.
Answers:
• This document is issued by the solicitude of the interested party in Buenos Aires
• The present documentation was expedited in the solitude of the interesting part in Good Airs
• The folowing documentation is issued by request of the incriminated party in Buenos Aires
• This document is issued by request of the interested party in Buenos Aires
27. Which word means "mist"?
Answers:
• camajón
• None of these
• neblina
• camioneta
• nubasa
28. Choose the best translation for: "De repente me di cuenta que, cada dia, mi juventud iba disminuyendo."
Answers:
• Suddenly it hit me that, day by day, my youth was fading
• Suddenly, the time passed, and, day by day, my youth was fading
• I started thinking, the roof fell, and everyday my youth went away
• I regretted my realization of the daily fading of my youth
29. Which word is used for the bottom of a hollow thing, such as a box; or for the bottom of a body of water; or for a background?
Answers:
• fondo
• forma
• francés
• frase
• frente
30. No se puede triunfar sin trabajar duro y estar preparado.
Answers:
• You can't succeed without hard work and preparation.
• You can succeed without hard work and preparation.
• You can't fail without hard work and preparation.
• You can fail with hard work and preparation.
31. Mi cumpleaños es en julio.
Answers:
• My birthday is in June.
• My vacation is in July.
• My wedding is in June.
• My birthday is in July.
32. Choose the correct translation.  "Si yo fuera tú, no lo haría."
Answers:
• If you were me, you would do it.
• If you were me, you wouldn't do it.
• If I were you, I would do it.
• If I were you, it would be different.
• If I were you, I wouldn't do it.
33. Mi nueva televisión es de alta definición.
Answers:
• My new television is high-definition.
• My old television is high-definition.
• My new television has altered definition.
• My new television is low-definition.
34. Which one is a word that means "cloud" ?
Answers:
• nube
• arbol
• charco
• tormenta
• calle
35. What is "una playa" ?
Answers:
• a beach
• a farm
• a meadow
• a forest
• a desert
36. What does "alegre" mean?
Answers:
• bitter
• happy
• tall
• boring
• wide
37. No paso mucho tiempo en la cocina porque no me gusta para nada cocinar.
Answers:
• I don't spend a lot of time in the kitchen because I don't like the smell of fish.
• I spend a lot of time in the kitchen because I like cooking.
• I don't spend a lot of time in the kitchen because I don't like baking at all.
• I don't spend a lot of time in the kitchen because I don't like cooking at all.
38. ¿Quién quiere un refresco?
Answers:
• Would you like my refreshment?
• Do you want a refreshment?
• Who wants a refreshment?
• Does he want my refreshment?
39. Which of these is the form of 'poner' that would be used with 'yo' as the subject in the simple present tense?
Answers:
• pueno
• pongo
• ponoy
• pono
40. Avísame cuando termines, que te tengo otro proyecto.
Answers:
• Let me know when you will be done today; I have another project for you.
• Let me know when you're done; I have another project for you.
• Let me know when he is done; I have another project for him.
• Let me know when he will be done today; I have another project for him.
41. Most closely, what does 'montar' mean?
Answers:
• to type
• to urinate
• to hide
• to read
• to ride
42. ¿Así que te ibas a ir sin decirme nada?
Answers:
• So he was going to leave without saying anything?
• So you were going to arrive without saying anything?
• So he was going to arrive without saying anything.
• So you were going to leave without saying anything?
43. La bandita elástica está atrás del libro.
Answers:
• The rubber band is under the book.
• The rubber band is behind the book.
• The rubber band is in front of the book.
• The rubber band is on top of the book.
44. You see the word “fallecido” in parentheses next to a name on a personal certificate. This person:
Answers:
• Is in poor health
• Is failing his classes
• Has a spelling error in his name
• Is deceased
45. What is the correct translation of "enojado" in English?
Answers:
• hungry
• happy
• hurry
• angry
• sad
46. The most likely colloquial translation for "Me cae mal ese tipo" is:
Answers:
• That commercial rubs me the wrong way
• I don't like that guy
• That type is attracted to me
• That guy is falling for me hard
47. Which of these means "We're bored." ?
Answers:
• Son aburridos.
• Estamos aburridos.
• Somos aburridos.
• Están aburridos.
48. Which of these means "Buy it for me." ?
Answers:
• Cómprelome Ud.
• Cómpremelo Ud.
49. What is "una persona tacaña" ?
Answers:
• a crazy person
• a dead person
• a friendly person
• a stingy person
• an evil person
50. He ordered them to serve his dinner.
Answers:
• Ordenó que le sirvieran la camarera.
• Ordené que le sirvieran la camarera.
• Ordenó que le sirvieran la cena.
• Ordené que le sirvieran la comida.
51. El presidente de la compañía decidió que el traslado de la planta sería en tres meses.
Answers:
• The CEO of the company decided the transfer of the plant would be in three months.
• The CFO of the company decided the moving of the plant would be in three weeks.
• In three weeks the CEO will transfer the plant
• The plant will be transferred in three days, said the CEO of the company
52. Tuve que regresar a la oficina porque se me olvidaron las llaves de la casa.
Answers:
• I had to return to the office because I forgot my house keys.
• I have to return to the office because I forgot my house keys.
• I had to return to the house because I forgot my house office.
• I will return to the office because I forgot my house keys.
53. Which of these means "extremely handsome" ?
Answers:
• varioso guapo
• None of these
• varioso flaco
• sumamente guapo
• sumamente flaco
54. What is "un simio" ?
Answers:
• A bird
• An ant
• A bear
• A bee
• An ape
55. You see “Atentamente” at the bottom of a letter. How do you translate it?
Answers:
• Warning!
• As always
• Sincerely
• Please note!
56. How do you translate “Esta factura tendrá una vigencia de tres años.”?
Answers:
• This invoice shall remain valid for three years
• This invoice shall go into effect in three years
• This factory shall operate for three years
• This factor shall be remain valid for three years
57. Traduce el siguiente enunciado: No me gustan los juegos de computadora, pero me gustaban cuando era más joven.
Answers:
• I don't enjoy computer games now, but I used to like them when I was younger.
• I don't enjoy computer games now, but I was used to like them when I was younger.
• I don't enjoy computer games now, but I would like them when I was younger.
• I don't enjoy computer games now, but I have liked them when I was younger.
58. Correct phrase for "a strange coin":
Answers:
• una rara rueda
• una rara moneda
• una moneda rara
• una rueda rara
59. En los últimos años, Costa Rica se ha establecido como un país económicamente importante.
Answers:
• In the last few years, Costa Rica has established itself as an economically important country.
• In the last few years, Costa Rica has failed to establish itself as an economically important country.
• In the last few years, Costa Rica has established itself as an economically rich country.
• In the last few months, Costa Rica has established itself as an economically important country.
60. Translate the following: Forma de Pago: Efectivo.
Answers:
• Payment Method: Effective
• Payment Form: Effective immediately
• Payment source: Cash
• Payment Method: Cash
61. What is the best translation for: ¿Quien será ese bombero raro que anda por la calle?
Answers:
• Who could it be, that strange policeman who passes in silence?
• Who will that passing strange fireman on the street be?
• Who could that strange firefighter walking along the street be?
• Who shall be that rare bomber who goes silently?
62. What is the correct word for "I catch" ?
Answers:
• cojo
• cojes
• coges
• cogo
63. Using the informal you ("tú"), what would be a way to tell someone to make lunch in Spanish?
Answers:
• Hecho el almuerzo.
• Haz el almuerzo.
• Hage el almuerzo.
• Haciste el almuerzo.
• Haces el almuerzo.
64. No vengas aquí a interrumpirme la concentración, que necesito terminar este trabajo para mañana.
Answers:
• Don't come here looking to break my concentration; I have to finish this work by tomorrow.
• Don't come here looking to break my concentration; I have to finish this stuff by tomorrow.
• Don't come here looking to break my concentration; I have to finish this paper by tomorrow.
• Don't come here looking to break his concentration; he has to finish that paper by tomorrow.
65. Translate to English: Mira al mundo desde el punto de vista de tu pareja.
Answers:
• Look at the world from the point of view of your partner.
• The world looks at the point of view of your partner.
• Look the world from the point of view from your pair.
• Look the world from the point of view of your partner.
66. What is 'una acera'?
Answers:
• a pole
• a sidewalk
• a street
• a traffic light
• a barn
67. Which of these Spanish words is *not* correctly matched to its English translation?
Answers:
• normalmente/ normally
• nudo/ nude
• abuso/ abuse
• absurdo/ absurd
68. Vivo en una calle lateral de la avenida principal.
Answers:
• I live behind a main street off of the main avenue.
• I live on a side street off of the main avenue.
• I live next to a side avenue off of the main avenue.
• I live near a street off of the main avenue.
69. Choose the best translation for the following: "Tengo tan mala memoria que si no anoto los mensajes de teléfono se me olvidan enseguida"
Answers:
• I have such a good memory that I don't need to write down telephone messages right away.
• I have such a bad memory that if I don't write down telephone messages I forget them right away.
• I have such a bad memory that if I don't write down messages I forget them right away.
• I once had such a bad memory that if I didn't write down telephone messages I forgot them right away.
70. El testimonio del acusado fue tan convincente que el jurado lo absolvió.
Answers:
• The testimony was so convincing that the jury acquitted him.
• The testimony was so convincing that the jury acquitted her.
• The defendant's testimony was so convincing that the jury acquitted him.
• The defendant's testimony was so convincing that the jury acquitted her.
71. Translate the following: El Responsable manifiesta haber sido informado de los reglamentos y normas de la Clinica.
Answers:
• He, being responsible, manifests having been informed of the regulations and norms of the Clinic
• He, the Responsible Party, states that has not been informed of the Clinic's regulations and standards
• (none of these)
• The Responsible party states that he or she has been informed of the Clinic's regulations and standards
72. What is "un trapo" ?
Answers:
• a broom
• a cloth
• a toilet
• a sponge
73. What does the adjective 'raro' (or 'rara') mean when it's placed *after* the noun it describes?
Answers:
• strange
• sad
• rare
• rotten
74. El uso de libros electrónicos se ha generalizado en los últimos años.
Answers:
• The use of e-books has spread in the last few years.
• The use of e-books has rapidly increased in the last few years.
• The use of e-books has declined in the last few years.
• The use of e-books has increased in the last few years.
75. What is "acudir" ?
Answers:
• to lose
• to go or come
• to earn or win
• to get or acquire
• to pull or throw
76. La ventaja en este juego la tiene el equipo de casa.
Answers:
• The advantage in this game is in the home team.
• The lead in this game is on the house team.
• The home team has the advantage in this game.
• The house team has the lead in this game.
• The home team has the lead in this game.
77. In an academic context, which of the following is the most accurate translation of "receive credit" in Spanish?
Answers:
• Pedir credenciales
• Recibir crédito
• Solicitar crédito
• Obtener acreditación
78. "En virtud de las disposiciones legales vigentes" translates to:
Answers:
• Pursuant to the legal provisions in effect
• Pursuant to the legal depositions in effect
• In comparison of the current legal dispositions
• By virtue of the legal dispositions in effect


No comments:

Post a Comment